Extremely rare Irish 19th century torc brooch, by West and Sons.
3.3cm in diameter, and 8.2grams. In original fitted West and Sons box.
West & Sons is one of the most famous Irish jewellery houses. It began its existence in 1720 as West & Sons on Capel Street. It transferred to College Green in 1845 and to Grafton Street in 1912. Queen Victoria gave West the royal warrant as her watchmaker, and once bought two replicas of the Tara Brooch from the company. The Lord Lieutenant of Ireland was another customer.