Superb sapphire and diamond ring, claw set on 18kt gold. Made by Mellerio of Paris. Set with an eight carat electric blue sapphire, and trilliant shoulders. Signed and numbered.
The firm started in 1613, founded by the Mellerio family from Valle Vigezzo, under the patronage of Marie de Médicis
Jean-Baptiste Mellerio (1765-1850) started trading in Versailles in 1777, and attracted the patronage of Queen Marie Antoinette. According to Côme Mellerio referring to his company’s archives, on the day of the French Revolution, the sales of their Mellerio shop in Paris were excellent!!
Francois Mellerio (1772-1843) moved the firm to Paris, initially at 4, rue du Coq Saint-Honoré. In 1815, he moved the workshop to 9, rue de la Paix in Paris, where it remains today. After the restoration of the French monarchy in 1830, Mellerio became suppliers to Queen Marie-Amélie and King Louis-Philippe.
Jean-François Mellerio (1815-1896) opened a branch in Madrid in 1850 from which he supplied customers including Queen Isabella II and the future Empress Eugenie of France.